Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding kits for Ethernet cable

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding kits for Ethernet cable
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 22:04:56 -0400
The physical construction of the shielded cable dictates to a degree the
grounding system, but regardless of the cable type you want protection
at both the upper and lower ends of the cables. So-called armored CAT5/6
cable with corrugated copper shield is normally fitted with ground kits
similar to what is used on Heliax coax plus it's connected to surge
arrestors; while cable with the more common foil/drain wire construction
is often terminated with *shielded* modular plugs and plugged into surge
protectors incorporating shielded jacks. The protector will have a
ground lug which is connected to the upper ground bar if one exists, or
via a down lead to the ground level ground system.

Check out the L-Comm website for a variety of surge protection devices.

This page shows some combo surge protector/power injector gizmos:

http://www.l-com.com/productfamily.aspx?id=6597

-Steve K8LX