Re: [TowerTalk] subsitute relay for antenna pojects magnecraft 389FXBXC1

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] subsitute relay for antenna pojects magnecraft 389FXBXC1-12D
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 14:15:29 -0700
On 9/5/11 12:47 PM, Kevin Adam wrote:
> I’ve been researching a relay substitute for ameritrons and have found one
> that will work for private projects for antenna  switching boxes here's the
> part number Magnecraft relay-    389FXBXC1-12D
> I thought this might help those needing this information.
> N9IWW

What aspects make it good for RF duty?  I took a quick glance at the
data sheet, and it's a fairly standard "ice cube" style 25A DPDT with a
100 ohm (12V) coil.  Does it have good isolation? Low parasitic C to the
coil?

I'm always interested in what people have found... since the mfrs don't
publish RF properties, it's usually up to someone to buy a few and test them

Other popular relays I've seen either in gear, or mentioned on this list
have been the
Matsushita JW1FSN  (that's a 5A or 10A version, depending, but ratings
are more about hot switching) (that's what Top-Ten devices uses (or used
to use))

The Tyco/P&B RKS or RT series (RKS-5DW, for instance, obsolete, but a
20A doubled contact SPDT)  (used in DX engineering switches)

W8JI has some comments about things to look for in design of the relay,
and also comments that 60Hz rating is almost meaningless for RF.