Re: [TowerTalk] Heavy Duty Rotor

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heavy Duty Rotor
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 15:57:01 -0700

On 9/6/2011 2:43 PM, Jim Lux wrote:

> I would think a standard 56 frame motor and gear box would fit inside
> Rohn 45.. A 56, 143, or 145 frame is about 6.5" in diameter, and Rohn 45
> is something like 14" across the middle
>
> I can see a 5-7 HP unit in a 184T frame (9" in diameter) being a tight
> fit, but then, there are companies making long skinny motors (e.g. for
> well pumps).

The well pump paradigm (drop it down the shaft) doesn't apply well
to towers; you usually don't have the option to drop it down
from the top.  You have to be able to get it in sideways through the
braces.  Thus both the girth and the height matter.  There are some
examples where you bend or actually remove a brace to get a rotor
inside a tower.  My UST-5106 is made with a missing brace to get the
rotor in, and a small PP just barely makes it.  Some rotors will
fit in a tower with some part sticking out sideways.  That is OK
for a self supporting tower, but obviously doesn't work for a crank
up.

Rick N6RK