Re: [TowerTalk] Heavy Duty Rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heavy Duty Rotor
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 21:39:38 -0400
On 9/6/2011 4:53 PM, Gene Fuller wrote:
> Hi Jim -
>
> In defense of the PPM's - Have you ever opened one up and seen how they're
> built ?  I would guess that any motor shop could rewind the "coils". The
> bearings and brushes are obtainable. The gear box, if tended to, should last
> forever, or at least have replacements available for longer than any of the
> current rotators will be supported by their manufacturer or NEMA. They may
> be an overkill for many of the jobs they're asked to do, but my guess is
> that they will outlive most of us who are using them.

They already have! <:-))
Consider what they were designed to do do, when, and their normal
operating environment.

We used to be able to pick the things up for next to nothing as many
surplus shops had them by the hundreds or even thousands.  I remember
seeing 55 gallon drums full of the things. IIRC they went for between
ten and twenty bucks.
You could get a pair of 110VAC selsens that were strong enough to use as
rotators for small antennas, but they made great direction indicators
for about $5 a pair.
73

Roger (K8RI)