[TowerTalk] Common Planetary Gear Rotor Failure?

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Common Planetary Gear Rotor Failure?
From: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 15:38:45 -0400
All,

It's my understanding that Yaesu rotors rely on planetary gear reduction
instead of an actual brake to stop the mast and antennas from spinning.
If that's the case, what happens when the stationary torque is exceeded?
Do they normally spin without failure, or are they likely to break
internal parts?

I have a Yaesu 800 series that failed many years ago. I never got around
to taking it apart to inspect the damage and was wondering what I might
find. It still runs smoothly under light load, but it does make a
"clicking" sound when turning bigger, heavy antennas.

Thanks,

Tony -K2MO