Re: [TowerTalk] Quad Ought CONNECTORS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Quad Ought CONNECTORS
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 07:34:19 -0700
On 9/17/11 5:55 AM, Jim Wright wrote:
> You can get terminals from a battery shop, a solar power vendor, or a marine
> supply store.  Here are some from Defender Industries (marine supply): *
> http://tinyurl.com/3wbse3w*
>
> But...  I suggest trading the cable for something more suitable.  Everything
> I have read tells me to use SOLID cable for grounding.  Stranded cable is
> great for DC because it's flexible.  Trade the cable to someone building
> their own solar power setup or someone with a large power boat.  Anyone who
> uses high-current DC would love to have that cable.

Depends on if you're grounding for lightning, for NEC compliance, or for RF.

Since the OP is talking ground rods, we can assume it's not for HF RF.

Stranded works fine for lightning or line frequency NEC grounding.
However, your point about trading it really well taken, esp if it's
welding cable with the hundreds of fine strands.  For grounding you want
the usual fairly stiff stuff with 17(?) strands.

You can go to a welding supply and they'll crimp lugs on to 2/0 and 4/0
cable, by the way.