[TowerTalk] shipping large, heavy object

To: <yccc@yccc.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] shipping large, heavy object
From: "Jim Spears" <n1nk@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:47:44 -0400
I purchased an electric winch, US Tower MDP-750 from a guy who was close
enough to pick it up at his home.  After getting it home and mulling over
the challenge ahead, I decided it would be too hard to integrate this winch
(which has a complicated pull up/pull down design) onto my crankup tower and
sold it.  The winch is pretty large and heavy, 185 pounds according to the
US Tower catalog (and I believe it).

I am starting to work with the new buyer on shipping.  And I need a starting
point.  I would guess it needs to be strapped to a pallet.  Any suggestion
on a shipper?  Will FedEx ground handle something like this?

I am getting real tired of manually cranking the tower up and down but need
a simpler approach.  Something like the MDP-75 is more in my thought
process.

Jim/N1NK