[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Maximum Guy Radius

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Maximum Guy Radius
From: HansLG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:03:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Bill,

I just calculated the torque on the tower element and compared them with
manufacturer recommended maximum torque. I found a small difference between a
 stiff ground mounting and flexible ground mounting. I also tested
different  locations of the guy wire attachment and selected the "best" point.
That's why  the guy wires are attached 16 feet from the top. I did not make any
calculations  of stress on the individual legs (which I probably should have
done to know for  sure everything is within limits) but reasoned that; as
the tower is suppose to  be self-supporting it should be better with guy
wires. As I have the guys  anchors at the 100% point I am not concerned that
things will go wrong. Better:  If it goes wrong it will be regardless what I
tried.

You are right though, the stress on the tower legs is critical as it is
what makes the tower stand.

Hans - N2JFS

In a message dated 10/7/2011 6:45:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,