Re: [TowerTalk] Solid copper ground wire supplier

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Solid copper ground wire supplier
From: "Ron W8RJL" <youngron@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 01:49:23 -0400
If you take a direct lightning hit on your tower the size wire between the
tower legs and the ground rods does matter.
In the book "Compehesive Grounding and Protection of Communications Sites
they say #2 AWG minimum.
I believe the Motorola R56 Grounding document also shows #2 AWG for
grounding towers.
The wire should be as short as possible and have as few bends as possible,
any bends should be gradual. If possible have the wire cadwelded to the
ground rods. Do it right the first time and it will last a long long time
with little maintenance.
73, Ron W8RJL.