Re: [TowerTalk] Solid copper ground wire supplier

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Solid copper ground wire supplier
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 03:28:12 -0400
On 10/13/2011 12:32 AM, Tony wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 9:28 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
>> AWG10 solid is also used for a lot of
>> things.  If you want bigger (AWG2 or 2/0), then stranded is where it's
>> at, although I don't know why you would need something that big for a
>> tower (you see it where it needs to bridge across something moving: like
>> a gate or a tilt fixture)

My whole ground system consists of 33 8' ground rods CadWelded(TM) to
over 600' of bare #2 copper for lightning protection.  The tower has
taken at least 17 direct and verified strikes in less than 10 years..
How many it's actually taken I don't know.  it's designed specifically
as a safety ground and would be a waste of money (and copper) for an RF
ground.

73

Roger (K8RI)