Re: [TowerTalk] Pull Rope in Conduits?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pull Rope in Conduits?
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 00:35:07 -0400
On 10/24/2011 11:52 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> I've found that a wadded up plastic grocery bag with a few wraps and
> ties of the pilot string works just fine for the vacuum cleaner pull or
> push.  No need to fish it as you glue, even for 200' plus runs.  It's
> amazing how fast the string will run out.
>
> For the pilot, I use conduit measuring tape (flat x 3/16 wide, 130#
> break)  by Greenlee available at electrical supply stores, then you know
> the exact length of the pull.  Mason's twine also works fine.
>
> 3 strand rope is not a good pulling rope since it will put twist in the
> cables as it untwists under tension.  Braided rope or the flat nylon
> webbing sold for conduit pulling are better choices.

I found 3 strand (conventional twist rope) to be unsatisfactory for
raising and lowering pretty much anything that needs to stay straight.
Hang a wrench on the end of a hundred feet of the stuff from a pulley
and then pull up the wrench.  It'll spin like crazy! <:-)) It'll put a
twist in almost anything that can be twisted. Also, manilla rope is
definitely life limited.  When a 1 1/4" rope broke I had a 20# pulley
block pass over my shoulder right next to my ear about 100-120 feet from
where the pulley had been anchored. My head would have been about 10'
off the ground with me sitting on a tractor seat. The pulley hit the
ground nearly a 100 yards behind me.  I was happy it wasn't dragging
that big rope behind it.

73

Roger (K8RI)