Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Base Round or Square?

To: n4zr@contesting.com, "[TowerTalk]" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Base Round or Square?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 19:47:01 -0400
 > Does this apply to a guyed tower?

Our discussion was about towers in general ... there was no mention
of guyed vs. self-supporting or single pier vs. multiple pier (e.g.,
Rohn SSV with its wide base).

In any case, looking at the Rohn web catalog will show that CB1G is
specified for all heights of Rohn 25 - except the tallest at 110 MPH.
Two guy anchors are used in the three tallest 110 MPH designs and
those towers are specified for GB2G.  CB1G is a 2' 6" x 4' 0"
square base ... CB2G is a 3'0" x 4' round base.  The Rohn document
is quite emphatic that CB1G *must* be square.

The trends are consistent in the 45, and 55 documents as well -
CB1G may be used for the shortest towers but must be square.  Larger
round piers are specified for taller towers and those with higher
wind ratings.  Even the smallest of the 65 towers start with CB2G.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV