Re: [TowerTalk] Clanking Tail Twister II

To: dotravel@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Clanking Tail Twister II
From: dotravel@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:58:56 -0400 (EDT)
A big thanks to everyone for your responses (group and via email). If I can't
quiet the TX2 down I may have t replace it with a quieter rotor.

Regards, John NA6L

The text below about the challenges is what I sent out to one of the group
members via email

I have to do something because the noise even resonates
to the next room where my wife is sleeping -- or trying to sleep!

Possibly I can make a padded cover for the rotor, insulate the tower from the
house mount and add some sound dampening to the tubes on the tower.

The other issue is that  I'm on a city lot 50' X 100' so even my sleeping
neighbor is only 25' away from the gun-shot like noise in the middle of the
night, with open windows this is not fun for her.

I'm not rotating a big load, just a small tribander 1' above the rotor and a 4
element 6m Yagi 5' above the Tribander. Possibly I have about 8 SF of wind load
if you consider the leverage of the mast above the tribander. The rotor is mast
mounted (not in a tower) with a heavy steel custom made lower mast mount and I
lower the entire tower when storms approach, and hey, this is Southern
California where storms are rare (-;

I wish that the tower was out in a field somewhere but us HAMs gotta' do what
we gotta' do!