[TowerTalk] Clanking Tail Twister II

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Clanking Tail Twister II
From: dotravel@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 22:40:09 -0400 (EDT)
I have a Tail Twister II on top of my wall mounted  Tri-EX 33' crank up tower
with home-brew 8' 5th section and 2' tall base. Because the tower is mounted to
the wall of the shack I hear every sound from the tower and rotor -- just
perfect for Halloween!  Is this noise normal for the rotor?

One of the most annoying sounds is when the TT-II brake is retracted with a big
"ker-blamo" clanking noise that resonates through the tower and into the wall
just over my head.   Before I take the rotor apart is there anything that the
group can suggest to add or replace in the rotor to lessen the noise? I'm
thinking that originally there may have been some cushioned stops in the rotor
to prevent the the big metal-on-metal CLANK as the brake is retracted?

Do the Yaesu 800/1000 series rotors also make this "clanking" noise?   Although
I'd  like to not spend the money for a new rotor are there any suggesting for a
quiet rotor that is in this load class?

Regards, John NA6L