Re: [TowerTalk] PIPE ANCHORS

To: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PIPE ANCHORS
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 19:59:04 -0700
Like your logic, but squares have more steel "further out" from the
neutral axis so they win (or at least moment calculators say so)

see  http://www.engineersedge.com/section_properties_menu.shtml

Compare a 4" od x 3" id pipe with a 4" sq od x 3.5" id  sq tube.  Many
shapes are there to play with.

About the same moments and the pipe is much heavier.  5.5 sq in cross
section of steel for the pipe and 3.75 sq in for sq tube, a 50% increase
in weight per foot for tube.

And there is a diagonal moment calculator for squares (squares win in
all cases).

What am I missing?  (of course there is a lot more to structures than
this one number)

Grant