Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated vertical

To: wa8jxm@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated vertical
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 08:52:44 -0500 (EST)
Hi Ken, the statement in the Antenna Book about the waves on the radiator
bouncing back and forth and being reinforced by the next wave to achieve
resonance is exactly right.

But, the point where one wave ends and the next one begins does not HAVE to
 be located on the radiator proper. It can be somewhere down the feed line
as  well.

And that is exactly the situation when a tuner is used to minimize vswr
(same as resonating the system). The tuner is altering the phase of the
incident  wave to make it and the reflected wave in phase and hence resonate.

Of course phase is not the only component in achieving a matched condition.
 Amplitude has to be correct as well and that is done by adjusting the
tuner L/C  to force the R to the needed value to have the correct amplitude for
a match. We  don't even think about R and X when twisting the tuner knobs.
Just watching the  vswr or watt meter for lowest reflected power (resonance)
makes the magic  happen.

Loss in the transmission line will alter the phase and amplitude values.
The tuner then has to be adjusted further to compensate. Again, that is
transparent when watching the reflected power/voltage and adjusting for minimum

(resonance). It all happens without thought.

We have all skipped right over the original question from W7WHY on his 40m
vertical vswr vs frequency curve having double  dip. I have some insight on
 that but will need some time to come up with a credible explanation.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 12/23/2011 8:39:05 P.M. Central Standard Time,