Re: [TowerTalk] Using Electric Drill Instead of Hand Crank

To: Wayne Crawford <resopkr@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using Electric Drill Instead of Hand Crank
From: Dan Hearn <n5ardxcc@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 16:43:54 -0800
Wayne: There were no photos with this post and I do not know if you have
found what you are looking for. If not, I saw a simple answer to your
problem on the internet somewhere a couple of months ago. Here it is:
  1.Remove the nut which holds the crank handle. Replace it with a long nut
available at the hardware stores. I dont know what it is called but it is a
piece of hex bar tapped on both ends and the same diameter as the original
nut. The one I have is 1 3/4 long and tapped 3/8x16.
  2. Place a flat box end wrench on the nut extending along the crank
handle and tie it to the crank handle with several tie wraps.
  3. Fix an adapter and socket to your HD variable speed drill which fits
the extended nut. You can now use the drill to operate the winch or use the
original crank.
73, Dan, N5AR

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 8:40 PM, Wayne Crawford <resopkr@aol.com> wrote:

>  Using Electric Drill Instead of Hand Crank
>

> -
> So far I've only got my raising fixture crank modified. Once I get the
> tower connected to the pivot point on the base I plan to do the mod to it
> as well.
>
> Modifed raising fixture crank.
>

> Modified raising fixture crank pic 2
>
> If the weather co-operates I might get the TX-472 tower connected to the
> base sometime next week.
>
> 73
>
> Wayne C.
> WV4L