Re: [TowerTalk] Using Electric Drill Instead of Hand Crank

To: Wayne Crawford <resopkr@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using Electric Drill Instead of Hand Crank
From: Ken Nicely <ken@nicelyweb.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 15:06:48 -0500
I would not advise using that mod for tilting the tower up.  When you tilt
up the tower by hand it bounces a lot just from the motion of induced on
the fixture by the hand cranking and there is a tremendous amount of axial
tension on the cable, especially at lower raising angles.  I usually crank
slower when tilting the tower up just to eliminate the bouncing.

The mod works great for raising the tower sections.  I would make sure you
have the wrench is secured more towards the outer part of the handle with
wire ties.  I like to keep the handle on.  I use a cordless drill to raise
mine and I find I need to use the handle to release the brake.  The drill
will not always do it.