Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Private Air Strips

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Private Air Strips
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 22:34:10 -0500
On 12/30/2011 4:38 PM, Fred Kleber wrote:
> It is very important to determine if the airport is a private or commercial
> airport.  This can conveniently be done at:
>
> https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=showCircleSearchAirportsForm
>
> Private airports are just that and do not have the "protection" from the FAA
> that public airports do.  So why would people have private airports?  They
> are exempt from a LOT of FAA red tape.
It depends on not only whether they are private or commercial and
whether they are registered or not. This one is registered with the
official identifier CO43
Again here is the airport information http://www.airnav.com/airport/CO43
Our local airport is public, but it is not a commercial airport. KIKW.
Private airports main attraction is they do not normally have to be
fenced, or have the security of public airports whether they are
commercial or not. Typically if it is registered it has the same
protection from obstructions as public airports.

> I would not talk to the owner of the private airport until you have your FAA
> approval in hand.  With this, the FAA has spoken and he/she can't go and
> raise a stink that could possibly cost you some time/money.  Believe me, I
> have seen it happen...
"Generally" the FAA will contact them anyway before putting anything in
writing.

73

Roger (K8RI)