Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Towers
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 22:06:58 -0500
On 12/30/2011 8:35 PM, William Hein wrote:
> To Jon W4ABC --
>
> Actually I don't think they are using my house to line up the runway.  My
> house is closer to perpendicular to the runway than inline.   I saw the same
> plane land today (didn't look in time to see if it went over my house) and
> noticed that it continued east past the runway did a big turn and came around
> and landed heading roughly west.   Assume this is to take advantage of the
> wind?
>
> My distance from the runway has come up in this thread.  Going from Google
> Maps my house is 5.5-km to the closet part of the runway approx.
I'm a bit confused because when I enter your address and measure I get
about half that distance to the end of the runway closest to you.

As Al mentioned there is a "Pattern" that planes usually follow when
landing at uncontrolled airports.  Typically they fly down wind (The
same direction the wind is blowing) then make a right angle left turn
and fly until they are nearly lined up with the runway (this is called
base) and then make another 90 degree left turn to line up with the
runway into the wind (called final)  Down wind is parallel to the runway
and typically 1/2 to one mile from the runway.  Base is usually about a
1/2 mile to mile from the end of the runway.  Small planes will usually
be about 500 feet above the runway elevation when they turn final. The
published pattern for this airport is left so they would be making their
turns as I have listed.  Normally smaller, slower planes fly in closer
to the airport while larger, faster ones fly farther out.  Then again
some of the small ones just fly "wayyy out there", for some unknown reason.

73

Roger (K8RI)