[TowerTalk] Safety of unguyed tower

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Safety of unguyed tower
From: "Doug Ronald" <doug@dougronald.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 20:16:14 -0800
Hi all,

Wow! Thanks to everyone who has given me advice. Based on all that, my plan
is to get on the horn tomorrow and find a local crane company with a machine
that can navigate the dirt road to my site. The 70 ton capacity
recommendation from U S Antenna Products was primarily based on having a jib
on the end of the boom with the crane body placed far enough away from the
base of the tower to allow clearance for the 104? elements. It would have to
lean over at quite an angle to do that. As VE6JY points out, a 70 ton unit
is not necessary, and if I can find an all-terrain crane to get up there, I
might as well use it to hoist the 6600 pound mast and 3300 pound antenna up
top on the same lift day. This will negate the whole ground winch affair to
raise the mast and antenna.  All this means I will be spending the rest of
the rainy season doing safe ground construction in preparation. The crane
will hopefully not cost much more than the money I would have thrown at
1000? of ½? wire rope for temporary guying?

-Doug Ronald

AE6SY