Re: [TowerTalk] Safety of unguyed tower

To: "TOWERTALK@contesting. com" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Safety of unguyed tower
From: Don Moman VE6JY <ve6jy.1@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 04:48:25 +0000
The VE6FI one is what I'm familiar with.  Mine is similar - 4-30 mhz made
by Sabre (more ex HyGain types). Plus a 6.5 - 40 Collins that just went up
this fall.

  It's pretty unreasonable to try to clear the element with the crane, as
you mention - and unnecessary  - a tagline fore and aft will easily keep
the boom of the crane between the elements.

The one thing you need to be aware of - if you place the antenna on top of
the mast (the HyGain was designed to be tilted up in one piece)  you will
need to have something in place to allow the rigger to get to the top of
the mast to bolt the antenna on.  At least on the HyGain one, the tower is
80 feet and the mast is 100' and has no climbing pegs.

73 Don
VE6JY