Re: [TowerTalk] 2nd Rotor Shelf TX-455

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2nd Rotor Shelf TX-455
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 17:39:33 -0500
On 1/19/2012 3:18 PM, John Hudson wrote:
> Chris it's always been a backup plan, even with the old tower, to use a
> backstay. What I'm think now is using a 4" I-beam approx. 4-5' in length.
> Dig a hole 6" deeper so it will be recessed. Attach a HD shackle to the

I'd just bore a hole through the I-beam in such a position that I could
easily install a clevis.  Thoroughly corrosion proof it  and then bury it.
The just remove the sod over it for access and attach a clevis that you
know is still in good shape.

> I-beam and cover it until I need to use it. Use a chain and HD chain binder.
> I thought about the screw anchor but only ones I've seen the eyes were not
> solid and I would be afraid it would pull apart..

Look at the ones from the power company. The entire rod with eye is
forged. The screw plate is welded on and made of steel plate about a
1/4" thick which is then galvanized.  These are big and heavy. Probably
a 2 (or more) man crew to screw in, unless you can find a driver to
rent. Of course this depending on your soil being heavy enough to hold
the anchor and not be filled with rocks.  In my yard I've dug numerous
holes up to 6 feet deep and never found a stone over a half inch in
diameter and that was fairly close to the house so it may have come  out
of the hole for the basement.  This was once an ancient beach, and
before that under a lot of water and some where in there it was covered
with ice about 2 miles deep.

>   now I have not researched
> the communication type screw anchors but will probably go the heavy duty
> route and use the I-beam
The screw anchor will offer more resistance to pulling out, but you can
weld side plates to the I bean and put horizontal plates under then or
the ultimate, but that would mean a larger hole.  The I-beam will offer
little resistance in the vertical plane, but about the same horizontally
as a pipe of that diameter.

A friend was having trouble with his guy anchors moving as his yard is
plain sand down at least 6 or 8 feet. (I think it's about 20 feet) I
suggested the side plates, but in his case they stick out about a foot
on each side with reinforcing.  Since then his anchors have been rock solid.

73

Roger (K8RI)