[TowerTalk] 15 meter yagi height for 6000 miles

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 15 meter yagi height for 6000 miles
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 17:38:09 -0500
K6UJ:

 > Has anyone used the HFTA program and can tell me the best height
for a 15 meter
yagi for 6000 miles.

         Your question depends on many variables.  There are two
programs that you
can use to help answer your question yourself:

1.  What angle is optimum?  Depends on stage of the Solar Cycle, time of day,
short vs long path, etc.  HamCAP (friendly front end for VOACAP) can
answer this:

http://dxatlas.com/HamCap/  (e.g. 8 degrees from 16-17z short path
from W6 to DL)

2.  How do I optimize my antenna height for those angles?  HFTA is the answer
which you already have in the book.  Here's an example from my QTH to EU:

http://users.vnet.net/btippett/terrain_&_toas.htm (NB angles in
purple in 2nd plot)

         Optimum angles can vary greatly from the beginning to end of
the opening.
To EU I often find low angles best at the beginning and high angles
best at the
end, but that might not hold true for CA to EU.

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV