Re: [TowerTalk] Temp tower idea

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Temp tower idea
From: "Wood, Marlon" <Marlon_Wood@kindermorgan.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:51:40 -0600
Why can't you use guy wires?  When I didn't want to trip anyone, I put in fence
posts and guyed to the top of the posts.  But you need to calculate the loading
on the posts of course.

If antenna load is light (like a 900MHz yagi or a 2.4GHz grid) some of our guys
mod a trailer hitch to hold a Rohn H50 for running coverage tests.  Max hight
is ~43ft with guys (or no wind) but self support extended to 29ft should
survive high winds. Shipping of those is not cheap to your area (total price
~$320!) and for some reason they are never in stock in the NW. I have tried to
order them into the Seattle Hutton warehouse with no luck.

Rohn H50 not strong enough?  What about three 20ft secions of Rohn 25 bolted
into a tripod shape?

If I were going to try the base plate, I'd summarize the wind loading of the
Rohn sections and antenna for 75Mph, then calculate how much leverage you need
to hold it down and maybe tie off to the rig with a couple of guys.

Other thoughts; use a tree or bracket to a tree or other structure.

Where I work besides radios we use CDMA modems and portable VSAT when we get
into remote areas.  If we need to broadcast wifi then just put up a Ubiquiti
RocketM2 + omni on a mast; sometimes a tower, sometimes it is sections schedule
40 pipe, sometimes a Rohn H50, and of course there are the fiberglass masts on
ebay.

Marlon Wood (that guy you met at the Hutton show with the cool first name)