Re: [TowerTalk] Coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax
From: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 08:48:59 -0400
Remember, on the receive side the desired signal may go down 3db but the
noise also goes down 3db. That's why you can get away with  inefficient Rx
antennas like beverages, pennants, EWE's, K9AY's, etc. If you make an
antenna with a good directive pattern, even though  it's inefficient and the
desired signal goes down, the noise also goes down, but you can improve the
S/N ratio and use a preamp to bring the levels back up and still wind up
having improved the S/N ratio.
Gene / W2LU