Re: [TowerTalk] Coax

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 20:56:22 -0400
On 4/9/2012 7:46 PM, Larry Burke wrote:
> Roger, K8RI, wrote....
>
>> No one wanted the LMR-400UF either.  All they had to do was cut open a
> section to find water damage and it didn't get in at the connectors either.
> We cut open one piece and found about 5 or 6 feet mostly white powder in the
> middle.
>
> Is anyone else having problems with the longevity of the UF-type cables? I
> just built an antenna that has a short run of it but it is run under a
> square boom most of the way... out of direct sunlight and direct rain. It is
> not in a rotor loop and will not be flexed (but needed the flexibility in
> the original construction).

If it's protected I'd guess it'd do quite well, but that is a guess. As
a preference though, I'd pick the Davis BuryFlex and no, I have no
connection with the company, but have found them to be very helpful.

The UF is very flexible and has a tight repeatable bend radius.
Actually the standard LMR-400 has a very small minimum bend radius (1")
although the repeatable, minimum bed radius is quite a bit larger (4"),
I'd not want to use that for a rotator loop.

The flat top plate on a 45G is large enough to put a 3 turn, or possibly
2 turn coil of standard LMR-400 for a rotator loop (16" or 18" in
diameter), but when it comes to rotator loops my preference is Davis
BuryFlex(TM) because of the very tough and slippery jacket.

73

Roger (K8RI)