Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 19:05:16 +0100
Mike,

I'm not a betting man, but if I were I'd bet heavily that those UnUn
losses are significantly less than 0.2dB. Here's my reasoning:

The core in the Balun Designs photo looks to be about a size 140 with 6
turns of coax on it; but we don't know what the core material is, so
let's take two extremes from a loss perspective: #61 and #43.

Secondary impedance of a FT140-61 UnUn with six turns measures 0.6+j277.
Handling 1kW into a well matched load, the secondary voltage is 224V
rms. So the loss in the UnUn is 392mW or 0.002dB

Secondary impedance of a FT140-43 UnUn with six turns measures
318+j1677. Handling 1kW into a well matched load, the secondary voltage
is 224V rms. So the loss in the UnUn is 5.48W or 0.024dB

As I said in an earlier posting, your application is very benign for the
UnUn: the impedances, and therefore the voltages, are low; and down at
160m the loss component of the winding impedance is low compared to the
overall reactance.

If the UnUn were handling a more "challenging" load, things would be a
lot different. A while ago I measured the performance of UnUns made from
various mixes when connected to a 40ft wire used as a non-resonant
multiband vertical; you can see the results here:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/unun/

73,
Steve G3TXQ