Re: [TowerTalk] CM current and SWR meter changes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CM current and SWR meter changes
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 16:37:08 +0000
My assumption from looking at the cheaper swr meters that have this defect
is that the cases are inadequately bonded.  In a typical cheap cb type meter
its two halves with only a couple sheet metal screws that may not make good
contact due to paint.  The meters are also commonly plastic faced and
mounted right to the pc board providing a big gap in the front of the case.
On good meters the circuit board is separate from the meters and may
actually use coax from the connectors to the board instead of relying on the
case as the ground.  Also the measuring circuit may be isolated from the
case and separately shielded using transformers to feed out the samples.
In the Daiwa meters I use now the measurement circuit is in an unpainted
plated box with the connectors on it that is mounted inside the case that
has the controls and meters.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net