[TowerTalk] Wire Soap - How Much?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wire Soap - How Much?
From: "VE1DT-Towertalk" <gboutin@seaside.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 15:13:42 -0300
I've no experience in running cables through conduit, but I do know that I
want to use a cable lube. I can get Klein #15028 1 quart bottles locally,
but I don't know how much I will need. Also, I know I don't want to run out
part way. In browsing through the archives, the answer I keep seeing is
"lots".

In my case, I am using 4" diameter corrugated irrigation tubing for a couple
of LMR600 cables, a couple rotator cables and a few CAT5 cables. Total
length is 400 feet. Worst case would be the volume of the conduit.   Using
the formula,    pi *r^2 *length    tells me about 30 gallons. I am not
planning on doing that.

Polywater   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr87VQcJeK8  says to use this
formula for PolywaterJ: Gallons = 0.0015 * Diameter(inches) * Length(feet).
This comes out to 2.4 gallons. Using 1 quart bottles, this comes to about
$150 here. Grainger also sells larger 1 gallon containers of 3M WL lube at
about the same price as two of the Klein one quart squeeze bottles.

Does 3 gallons sound about right?

--
Gerald Boutin, VE1DT