[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 as a boom pole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 as a boom pole
From: Bruce Ward <Bruce@IPIntel.com>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 13:19:38 -0500
Has anyone used Rohn 25 section(s) instead of a boom pole on top of a
larger tower?

I have a  Tri-EX HZN 471 that the previous owner configured to lift to
66' instead of the factory 71'.  He also used a 2" diameter boom pole
extending about 18' above the top of the tower with a large antenna on
top of that.

I have erected the tower and discovered it would be better if I could
obtain some additional height.  I am placing around 3 square feet of
antenna load on the tower.

I am considering the possibility of removing the top bearing, installing
a Rohn 25 base plate then installing 3 sections of Rohn 25.  I would
also add a second set of guys at the top of the Tri-EX and  secure the
retractable sections to each other to limit rocking between them.

I believe the wind load produced by the Rohn 25 would be similar to that
of the 2" boom pole and that my total wind load would be far less than
had been placed on the tower for the last 35 years.  By securing
(clamping) the retractable sections and adding an additional set of guys
I believe the tower would be much stronger than the original design.