Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 as a boom pole

To: Bruce Ward <Bruce@IPIntel.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 as a boom pole
From: Hector Garcia XE2K <j_hector_garcia@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 11:55:58 -0700 (PDT)
Bruce

I just take a look at your photos, those ubiquiti looking equipment  is very
light for sure, pure plastic, will be no problem  in the wind load,
from my point of view the  120 pound extra weight  for the top section of the
tower looks no problem, if you secure  all the sections with clamps(big, no
hardware store u bolts)
and add  the several sets of guy wires to be called "safe"  to use, BUT  I can
see you need to clean your forest near the tower to install the  guy wires,
leaving those guy

wires ready to be vandalized and you tower fail , if not a  wind or storm
breaks
several trees and your tower fail.

If you want more height play with the mast you have there , raise it the most
you can and add a set  guy wires  from the mid section of your mast to  a
horizontal pipe and anchor the other end at the tower, the same distance  and
this will reinforce it like the old TV mast or towers in the  50-60's  use it
that looks like  rhomboid and those will  work to keep it stable  and are  from
my opinion better for you,  have no exact name in english for that set up, hope
some one can provide the name or the idea better.

Play safe and keep your customers with service all the time

 J.Hector Garcia  XE2K / AD6D
Mexicali B.C  DM22fp
P.O.Box 73
El Centro CA 92244-0073