Re: [TowerTalk] Cell Tower Broadcast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cell Tower Broadcast
From: Ro Grrr <rogrrr@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 15:03:31 -0400
I subscribe to a professional tower list and was expecting the show so I
watched it. I was surprised that one of the names I had seen on the list  was
actually profiled. Based on what I had seen on the list, I thought the show was
fairly well done, unlike some of the puff pieces on guns or the 60-minute crap
with mike stahl and leslie what's her name.
Many years ago (I was a teeny-bopper and was DEATHLY AFRAID of heights) I
worked for a Home Siding/Remodeling Contractor and had a job at a house
requiring work on a ladder to get to the upper rows of siding. My boss told us
that if we had been working on a tower or other steeple-jack site, we would be
paid in the neighborhood of $30 to $40 an hour. The minimum wage back in the
60s was about $3 which was what I got paid for that job.
Fast forward to today mow that I absolutely LOVE heights, and now being
retired, the pay scale is barely in double digits. I verified this when, 5
years ago, I stopped near my house where they were hanging a 304 foot fower for
cell fones. He told me that if I were a ground hand, I would be paid from $10
to $12 but if I were on the tower, it would be about $14.
Talk about walking away dejected....
RoGrrr
KC8HZ