Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 113, Issue 46 - Cell Tower Broadca

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 113, Issue 46 - Cell Tower Broadcast
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 13:32:02 -0700
On 5/24/2012 12:27 PM, Ro Grrr wrote:
> First is the government and all its stupid regulations.

Actually, what the report showed was that the government (OSHA) was
doing NOTHING about the problem, and that inaction was a major
contributor to the problem.

> Second is the GREED of most if not all the contractors and sub contractors.
> Third is the KIDS like the one standing on top of the tower, arms
> outstretched.

Yes on both counts.

The news program, Front Line, has a long established reputation for very
solid reporting.  It's great that YOU are a smart enough businessman to
run away from jobs like this, but many in this country are both too
hungry and too ignorant to do the same.  I pay good money to the guys
who climb my trees and towers.  They are professionals, I don't try to
tell them how to do their jobs, nor do I push them to do it faster, but
I do watch from the ground and see that they are following safe practices.

> However, some of the OSHA inspectors have no business being OSHA inspectors.
> They know LESS about the job they are inspecting than the pizza guys who are
> doing the job. It's called UNFAIR and STUPID.

Yep. BUT -- a major reason our government agencies are so weak is that
they have been intentionally weakened by those who demand "less
regulation" and "small government."  Some of them are full of political
appointees and lawyers/managers, and most of them have no budget for
enforcement -- remember, we're trying to reduce the national debt.  The
FCC has had these problems since around 1980. Those same problems led to
the mining disaster in WV and the oil spill in the Gulf a few years ago.
The OSHA guy interviewed in the piece came across as a particularly
unfeeling and irresponsible person.  I agree -- next to useless.

73, Jim K9YC