Re: [TowerTalk] 2 el 40m beams

To: <n8de@thepoint.net>, <lkeller73@roadrunner.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 el 40m beams
From: "Tim Duffy K3LR" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 15:58:41 -0500
>From KE3Q - a previous post to TowerTalk about Telrex 40 meter beams:

http://lists.contesting.com/_towertalk/2005-03/msg00067.html

KE3Q says:

"The worst ones are the 40M yagis, in my observation.  I had a pair of
2-element 40M Telrex yagis on a 160' tower.  They hadn't been up more than
a year and both looked in perfect condition when put up.  While I had
acquired both of them used, they hadn't been up for most of their
"lifetimes."  But, each "failed," shed an element along with the tip of
the boom, within a week of each other.  Maybe it was an amazing
coincidence -- I think probably so -- and maybe it was freak winds.  Those
were 60-foot elements and unlike their elements on 20/15/10, their 40M
elements tapered to solid aluminum rod for their tips -- anyway, a lot of
movement in the wind and a lot of that stress goes to where the element
reaches the boom.

While I've never, myself, had an intact 3-element 40M yagi, most of the
ones I've personally seen that have been up a while have had elements fall
off. K3ZO's 3-el is an exception.  It's up and intact.  Consequently, I
have "the remains of" two 3-element 40s and..."

73,
Tim K3LR