Re: [TowerTalk] best way to apply PreLube

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] best way to apply PreLube
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 19:30:48 -0400
On 6/18/2012 5:12 PM, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>>   I would like to know from others in the Tower Talk group  how they apply
> Prelube to their crank up tower cables.
> The last time I  treated the cables I think only 50% made it in the cable,
> hihi.
> Any easy way to do this without getting PreLUbe all over the place ?
>
>      I would suggest one of those little red spray can  rods that fits into
> the nozzle - you probably have a few in the garage. That  works great. It
> still isn't an exact science but more will get onto the  cables.

I've lubed cables and chains, but not tower cables similar to this.
I have a relatively good pair of sacrificial, soft, leather gloves I use
for oiling "Things". First I put on a plastic, or latex glove on the
hand that's going to do the oiling. Then pull on the leather glove. You
may need some talcum powder to get the leather glove over the other
glove.  I use a can of the proper oil with the nozzle that Steve is
talking about and spray the cable that is the palm of the glove, using
the gloved hand to massage the lube into the cable.

A second method already mentioned is if the cable can be coiled up is to
put it in one of the wide, shallow, oil drain pans and pour the oil/lube
over the cable and leave it submerged  for a while. This is by far the
messiest, but easiest method. You will need some place to hang the cable
to "drip dry" or wipe it down.

  When it comes to oiling things I tend to be liberal. As Steve says,
the first, or second rain will take care of the excess.

>      One TowerTalkian made a little  V-shaped backsplash out of some spare
> brass. He held it behind the cable  when he was spraying.
>
>      I prefer the little red rod but if I don't have one  I'll just spray it
> on very close to the cables. Yes, there's going to be  over-spray but it'll
> all wash away in the first rain.
>
>      Spray the PreLube on the cable and let it soak in  and run down the
> cable. That way it'll be thoroughly lubricated. Don't forget  the cable on the
> cable reel.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve     K7LXC
> TOWER TECH