[TowerTalk] C4XL 40 Meter tuning procedures

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] C4XL 40 Meter tuning procedures
From: Mac English <km9zkb9mdl@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 17:17:16 -0700 (PDT)
To all:

I am resurrecting my force 12 C4XL with 2 elements for 40. I have the tuning
network for 40 meters. I know there has been a lot of problems over the years
with getting this antenna tuned properly for 40 meters using this network box.
I am looking for information in regards to correct placement in length of the
tuning jumpers on the reflector and driven element from the center
spreader. There are a lot of conflicting stories on where to place these
jumpers. The manual says one thing and hams say another.

Also I am looking for the tuning procedures with using the tuning network I
have. I will be using an MFJ-259B analyzer to tune this antenna. I want to
primarily use the 40 meter portion in the SSB DX window. I am not overly
concerned with CW although I would like to be able to use that as well.

I am hearing conflicting stories as well about the length and turns of the
inductors inside the tuning network box. I have 10 turns in the tuning network
box AWG 12 with two coils that are about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.

I want to get this thing right before it goes in the air. I purchased this
antenna originally in 2001 and never ever got this antenna working on 40
meters. One of the linear load wires broke after I put it up. I was never able
to get the antenna back down to repair it. This time I want to make it right
and do things properly for years of trouble free operation hopefully.

I appreciate your time and help with my problem. I am looking to get this
antenna in the air by August sometime.

Please respond directly to me at km9zkb9mdl@yahoo.com

Thank you,

Mac English