Re: [TowerTalk] Rebuilding AV640 matching network.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rebuilding AV640 matching network.
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 01:12:00 -0400
On 8/1/2012 11:36 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:
>> My Times Wire and Cable catalog shows a power rating of 9kw for 142 and
>> 11.5 kw for 143 at 10mhz . The ratings are less at 50mhz, 3.5kw and 4.6kw.
>> I have been using 142 on legal limit chokes for several years. Take a look
>> at the chokes from Balun Designs and DXE. they use the stuff.
>
> Another alternative ro RG-142 is RG-400, a premium grade of the same coax.
> Often, it can be found on NOS reels at prices close to that of RG-142.  I've
> standardized on RG-400 for coaxial baluns and all shack interconnects.
> RG-400 uses the same RG-142/58 connectors, including crimped PL-259,
> soldered PL-259 with a silver reducer, and crimped BNC.

Looking at the spec I just ordered 50 feet of the stuff for compact
baluns.  It's only a tiny bit larger than 303 so I can still get the
same # of turns on the cores.  It's probably available cheaper, but I
picked up a fair amount at $2 a foot after a half hour of searching.

73 & Thanks

Roger (K8RI)