Re: [TowerTalk] Wind Load Spec Differences Between Tower and Antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wind Load Spec Differences Between Tower and Antenna
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 09:19:08 -0700
On 8/5/12 9:03 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> I think the steppIR specs relate to the antenna wind survival and sq ft
> does not change with wind speed.
>
> Wind load is proportional the the square of the velocity, so a new L470
> rated 85mph/18 sq ft should be good for (85^2/75^2)*18 = 23 sq ft at 75
> mph.

The problem is that the "total load" on the tower is the antenna load
PLUS the load of the tower.  The tower's cross sectional area doesn't
change, so you can't just scale the antenna area by the square of the
wind speed. There are towers that have some capacity available at, say,
75 mi/hr and zero at 85.
Vice versa, you probably actually pick up more "rated area" at lower speeds.

  Its not that simple in reality since the calcs now use a variable
> wind speed from the base to the antenna location, but after 35' in
> height or so the height of the tower doesn't matter, but for exposure it
> does.  (different wind field profile).

That does have an effect, but I think the bigger issue is that the tower
cross sectional area is quite large compared to the antenna. A 1 foot
wide tower that is 45 feet tall is 45 square feet.

Another complication is that without looking at the analysis, you don't
know where the critical load is.  Is it at the base or somewhere up the
tower. For uniform cross section towers it's easy.. the load is biggest
at the base, but for crankups and tapered towers (BX, for instance)
that's not necessarily the case.  (and that's where the wind profile
starts to get really important)