[TowerTalk] Fwd: FW: US Tower HDX572

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: FW: US Tower HDX572
From: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:29:53 -0400 (EDT)
This sounds like a Black&Decker to me. Right?

Hans - N2JFS

Maybe so and maybe not. Get a quote.  Even the old drill motors I had
rewound were cheaper and a lot more rugged than the stuff sold now days.

when I was installing the guy anchors for the 100' 45G, I purchased a
new, heavy duty,  hammer drill of a well known brand. I was drilling 1"
holes in 1/2" steel. On the 5th hole I felt it losing torque. It started
blowing thick smoke followed by flames by the time I could let go of the
trigger.  I had been using it less than 5 minutes and I had just brought
it home from the store.  The old drill would probably break your arm
before doing that. Back then Industrial meant you could pretty much pull
the trigger, lean on it and let go once the hole was drilled.  The new,
double insulated ones are not nearly as tolerant of heat and/or they are
not built for continuous duty.

I took the drill back and they gave me a new one, no questions asked,
but I did tell them if they wanted to look at it, they'd probably want
to do it outside because that thing STUNK!  Actually the carrying case
was hot to the touch, so they took my word. I think some one was going
to look at it and I heard some one shout, "Don't open it in here!" <:-))
  That think was rank!