Re: [TowerTalk] Heights pre-1995 Aluminum Tower

To: "ronald long" <rlong3@columbus.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heights pre-1995 Aluminum Tower
From: jeryb77 <jeryb77@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 14:13:23 -0400
Hans and Ron,
Thank you for your replies.
I came into possession of this tower somewhere around 1991 so have no real idea
of it's date of manufacture.
Heights did move from Michigan to Florida.
When conversing with Heights, they will reference pre-1995 towers because that
is the cutoff when many things were changed in the design.
They claim that they have no data available for wind loads etc for the earlier
towers, so I am almost certain that it just boils down to a liability issue.

I am trying to determine a safe rating is for the tower that I have, and
whether or not it was added to compared to what (standard) configurations were
available. ( I think where this tower was added to, it should have been stepped
more instead of adding an additional straight section to extend it's total
height)

What I actually have is a total of 48ft, it is a tapered free standing tower
which I beleive was used with a hinged base (not foldover).
The biggest difference between pre-1995 and the current offerings is the wall
thickness and in some cases the dia. of the legs.
Although I am unsure, possibly the earlier sections were 6063 aluminum whereas
now they state that they use 6061.

The sections that I have are as follows:

All sections are 1" dia. legs with the exception of the bottom 18" section
which is 1.25" (The new design 18" sections are now 1.31" or 1.72")

1" legs have a wall thickness of 0.065" (new design wall thickness is now
0.125")
1.25" legs have a wall thickness of 0.085". (new design for 1.31" legs now have
a wall thickness of 0.140")
The cross bracing on the 11" and 14" sections is 3/8" dia aluminum rod, and the
18" section has 7/16" dia.
All sections are 8ft in length.

11" top section
14" taper
14" straight
14" straight
14" straight
18" taper

I think that one of the 14" straight sections was added and it was probably
suppose to be a 40' tower instead of 48'
Two of the 14" straight sections need to be either repaired or replaced as they
have split where water has frozen in one leg of each of them. Upon further
inspection, I see a manufacturing defect where there is a definate obstruction
in each of those legs that did not allow the water to drain through the legs.
It appears that it might have been caused by a welding burn thru when the
crossbracing was being welded (i.e the obstruction is solid aluminum)

Ron...if you can make copies of what you think would cover what I have, I would
appreciate them.

Thank you,

Jerry