Re: [TowerTalk] Urgent: Should solar panel array be grounded to station

To: <chasm@texas.net>, TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Urgent: Should solar panel array be grounded to station ground and/or house ground?
From: John W <xnewyorka@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 08:34:43 -0700
Hi Chas,

The current plan is this:

They are going to run a #8 ground stranded wire down from the rail system,
following the same route as the electric wires, attaching it to the ground bar
inside the load center subpanel up in the attic, then continuing from there
down through the conduit to the ground bar inside the outside safety disconnect
box, which will be installed a few feet above ground, and then continuing from
there and attaching to the ground bar of the main house panel where the
electrical connections are also being made.  Then relying on the ground from
the main house panel out to a ground rod or two.  (Not sure what the builder
has installed, it was 1998 and I wasn't here, but I'm going to email him and
see if he remembers.)

In addition to the above, for lightning protection, I am also having them run a
#6 stranded ground wire from the roof rail system straight down the side of the
house to a 5/8" 8' ground rod which I am about to go and drive into the ground.
That rod will eventually get tied to my perimeter ground as well, once I
install it and the towers.

My question now is:  How many feet away from the house foundation should this
rod be installed?
Also, a cad weld connection is probably ideal, but I don't have any OneShots on
hand yet.  Should I clamp it for now and cad weld it later, or wait until I get
my hands on a OneShot?
Also, this being my first time using OneShots, how far below the ground surface
should the connection be made? Does it matter?

Speaking of OneShots, who do you guys recommend as a good source for them?  I
am going to need a LOT of them.  Do you do it yourself with a "no mold
required" type, or is it worth getting the type that needs a mold, or is it
better to hire a pro to do it?
I will have three towers all 70' to 120' and a perimeter ground hundreds of
feet long, plus the three radial ground lines on each tower. So with ground
rods every 15' that adds up to a LOT of cad welds.  It will be prudent to get
them at the lowest available cost.

Thanks,

John
W2ID