[TowerTalk] Yaesu 800DXA Followup- FINAL

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yaesu 800DXA Followup- FINAL
From: Mark Adams <msadams60@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 13:03:41 -0400
If you've been following this thread you'll be glad to hear the results
from my latest and final testing. I disassembled the whole shebang and
tested without the gear train attached as follows using 23V DC in both
directions.

   1. Spun the gears to see if anything is binding. They run like a Swiss
   watch.
   2. Motor with brake attached and filter board in line. Power to filter
   input. Motor runs great for 15 s then slows to a stop. Runs in reverse for
   a few seconds then stops.
   3. Motor with brake attached and power directly to motor. Same as above.
   4. Motor with brake removed and filter board in line. Power to filter
   input. Runs for maybe 20 s then slows to a stop.
   5. Motor with brake removed and power directly to motor. On this test I
   hear a clunk and nothing moves. By this time, the motor appears to be dead.

For fun, I took the motor apart and as soon as I touched one of the brushes
it broke in half. If you too need a new motor be prepared as there are none
in stock and the quoted delivery time is 4-6 WEEKS! Ouch.

73,
Mark K2QO
K2 #543
FN03ra