Re: [TowerTalk] Prosistel PST61 and M2 20M5

To: John Langdon <jlangdon@outer.net>, "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Prosistel PST61 and M2 20M5
From: Adrian Rees <rees.a@btconnect.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 13:08:26 +0000
>>Quote: Try putting the RT-21 in 'debug' mode to see if you can move the
>>antenna
with the CW or CCW buttons then. If not, you may have lost the shear pin
inside the rotor that works like a 'mechanical fuse'.

This is very interesting.

I have a PST71D turning an Optibeam OB16-3 .For the last few months the only
way
I can turn the rotator succesfully, is by using the CW / CCW keys. If I use the
little knob to set the direction
and then wait for the rotator to turn, it usually starts OK, and then stops at
no particular point through
the turn. Carrying on the turn with the CW/CCW keys works OK.
So I guessed it was to do with cable length / sensor measuring the resistance
being out  range of  a pre-set value.
In my case this being due to the distance from the shack to the rotator of
around 450 feet, with 5 Core cable (each core 7/22) run out.

>From what you mention the Speed & Ramp settings can be altered by the
>controller and if so,
would indicate that the user could alter the settings. Therefore I could fix
the problem I have.

Is this a Grenn Heron Controller  thing only or can the original PST Controller
be altered also ?

By the way are there any other symptoms of this shear pin failing ?
For instance the antenna moving around, say 10 - 20 degrees in the wind?

Cheers

Adrian
MW1LCR / GW9X