Re: [TowerTalk] hardline bending radius

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] hardline bending radius
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 07:58:12 -0800
On 11/16/12 9:21 AM, Hans Hammarquist wrote:
Does anyone have a good idea of minimum bending radius for the 1/2 inch cable TV hardline? I have been
told anything from 5" to 50". I believe 5" is way  too sharp but 50"??? I sure that
50" would not cause any problems with the cable but ...

Like Andrew LDF Heliax?  5" is the min bending radius..

The thing to remember is not so much the bend radius, but, rather, you only get to bend it once. Each time you bend it, it work hardens the copper a bit, leading to cracks, etc.

Also, if you're going to bend it that tight, you need some sort of mandrel or bending jig to support it. Think of bending copper tubing or electrical conduit. (in fact, a conduit bender might work real well for this application)