Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas that can survive hurricanes?

To: Jim in Waco WB5OXQ <wb5oxq_1@grandecom.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas that can survive hurricanes?
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@me.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 13:48:50 -0800
Knowing where in South Florida would help. In the Kendall area of Dade County
the ground consists mainly of very hard coral rock. It takes a very hard bar to
break up the rock, and is probably better done with a machine. There is pretty
much no top soil there other than what comes with the sod that is blocked in.
Land is very expensive, so buying an acre there is a huge setback, if you can
find a lot the size you want. One big advantage to this area is that the water
table is just a few feet down. This is brackish water, and provides an
excellent ground plane. Great for verticals.

Up in Ft Lauderdale the ground is much softer and easier to dig. I hand dug the
hole for my tower in Sunrise with few problems (I was in much better shape 30
years ago). Over on the west coast we see similar variances. It just depends on
where you can find the land that is affordable.

Interesting shift from Central Texas. Good luck with the move.

73!

Jack Brindle, W6FB (ex-WA4FIB)