Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator screw sealing.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator screw sealing.
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 07:52:50 +0000
Bryan Swadener wrote:

> Hi All:
> Is there a sealer or some other recommended method to
> improve maintaining rotator outside case screw tightness.
> Checking my HAM IV after hurricane Sandy showed all
> four bottom rotator screws 2 turns looser.
> The commonly sold (red/blue) nut tightener available at
> Harware stores does nothing.
> 73,
> John, K2SFS

John,

Threadlockers require ALL grease & oil be removed.
Otherwise, they don't work. I've used Henkel/Loctite
#271 (low viscosity highest strength "permanent"
thread lock) in all sorts of applications.  Properly
applied, the ONLY way it lets go is by applying heat.
It can be found in finer auto parts and hardware
stores.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Before trying a stronger grade of threadlocker, it is also necessary to remove ALL traces of the weaker grade that has failed. Otherwise it is liable to fail again, by shearing through that same weaker layer.

Reading John's last paragraph, it seems that he has tried more than one grade of threadlocker, all of which have failed. If so, the threads may now be so badly worn that threadlocker won't work any more.

At this point I would change to permanently fixed SS studs with nuts on both the inside and the outside, and cemented into place using a hard-setting 'permanent' grade of thread locker.

Underneath the rotor mounting plate, nyloc nuts with flat washers have always worked for me (using new nuts each time, of course).

Smaller SS studs and permanent threadlock are also a cure for the problems with the 'waistline' securing screws on the rotor housing.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek