Re: [TowerTalk] Motorized Winch for US Tower

To: Eugene Jensen <eugenejensen@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Motorized Winch for US Tower
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 19:50:56 -0800

On 1/1/2013 7:19 PM, Eugene Jensen wrote:
I personal have no working knowledge of the W3000 worm gear but my only
concern is it design be driven by a drill motor. I use a Thern worm gear
4WM2 motor driven and it is designed for this kind of service. I many years
ago on a small Hygain Tower blew the gears set driving it with a drill. I
was lucky that it happen at the start. I use mine on the tilt over on a
HDX555.  I have used a Hole Hog to drive it. It has two speeds and yes you

Good point.  The W3000 gets hot if you crank it too fast.  The Hole Hawg
has a fixed 500 RPM speed.  The next model down right angle drill has
variable speed.  You need to take it easy with the drill.  Keep it
down to 100 or 200 RPM. My W3000 has started to make squeeking noises. I have been looking for something with a higher rating but most other winches are only 2000 lbs. I might go with something like what is shown here:

http://www.w4abc.com/drive.html

Rick N6RK