[TowerTalk] Inverted L hung from tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Inverted L hung from tower
From: "Rob, AB1NJ" <AB1NJ@rjlp.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 12:44:01 -0500
I currently have a 160m inverted L hung from my #2 tower, which is 45 feet of 45G topped by a small 6m yagi. The vertical part of the "L" is suspended about 2 feet away from the tower. I have 24-130 foot radials around the base of the tower. The "L" itself is resonate on 1840 with base impedance of 22 ohms as measured by my RigExpert AA-30 at the base of antenna. My question is am I losing signal due to shadowing or other interaction by having the vertical part of the "L" so near the grounded tower? I thought about using the tower itself as a radiator, but didn't think it was tall enough to shunt feed on 160m. I'd really like to somehow use this tower for both 80 and 160 meters, especially now that the top half of my 80m fullsize (68') vertical came down this week due to wind and rime ice loading. Looking for ideas. Thanks in advance, Rob AB1NJ