Re: [TowerTalk] yagi f/b and rx s/n

To: "Barry N1EU" <n1eu.barry@gmail.com>, "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] yagi f/b and rx s/n
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 08:27:27 -0600
It depends...

If reducing QRM and QRN from other directions than your beam heading produces a higher signal to signal plus noise ratio than optimizing for max forward gain then minimizing the side and back lobes is the best choice.

My personal "guess" is that minimizing reception in all unwanted directions is likely to produce better weak signal reception in the desired direction in the majority of instances of weak signal reception.

The above would not be the case if your noise level was quite low as measured with an omni-directional antenna (say a vertical) or when scanning by rotating the beam and getting low noise levels in all directions. In this instance forward gain irrespective of side lobes or reception off the back of the beam would produce the best weak signal reception.

You have to be the judge of your expected circumstances. Which of the above best describes your personal experience? 1. The weak signal is in the clear but is so weak your receivers gain is insufficient to make it readable or 2. is it that the signal is strong enough to read if it were not for the noise level being high enough to mask it? Situation 1 above calls for optimizing forward gain and situation 2 calls for reducing side lobes and increasing front to back ratio.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

73 Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Barry N1EU